Saturday, June 29, 2013

High Tea – Pinkies Up!



I think my Aussie in-laws were British in a former life, as it seems that every time we vacation with them, we must go out for High Tea.  And not just any old place where you can get a teabag and a cup of hot water, oh no.  We have been to such esteemed places as the Peninsula Hotel in Hong Kong, the Intercontinental Hotel in Sydney, the Veranda at the Moana Hotel in Honolulu, and the Empress Hotel in Victoria, British Columbia.  All of them serve a very proper British-style tea with the cucumber sandwiches and the tiny scones.  And they all make a big deal out of the tea and how it is served.   When the waiter has to tell you how to drink your tea, it immediately becomes a big deal.  Maybe not quite to the level of a Japanese Tea Ceremony, but it still makes me feel like I don’t know the rules and I will inevitably do something WRONG.  It is a study in minding my manners – my mother would have been proud.
Empress Hotel

Peninsula Hotel
Moana Hotel


No comments:

Post a Comment