Monday, March 18, 2013

Farmer’s Markets

So yesterday I went to a local Farmer’s Market (or “market” as it is called in the rest of the world) as it was Sunday, and that is when they are open in the Seattle area.  There are a few neighborhood markets open other days of the week, but as I work during the week it is not practical to get to them.  These local markets are a fairly new phenomenon in this part of the world; I think it is a response to all the concerns of the engineered food supply sold in the supermarkets.  It is interesting to note that most of the stalls are serious about offering organic products, and the food is always locally grown.  It is exciting to me, as I feel like we are finally catching up to at least Europe, where this has been going on for a very long time, and maybe Asia where it has been happening much longer.  Each time I have been to Europe – France especially – I find out when each town in the area has their market day and make a point of going there.  Some of the most amazing food is offered at these places!  My favorite (so far) is the Saturday market in Sarlat-la-Canéda in the Dordogne region.  Even on a rainy day it is beautiful!


No comments:

Post a Comment