Saturday, February 2, 2013

Super Bowl Food



So here it is almost Super Bowl Sunday, and I still don’t know what I am making to eat during the game.  I’m not sure if any other countries make such a huge deal out of a single game in a sport, but in this country the Super Bowl is big.  No one just sits at home and watches the game on their own;  this is a time for gathering.  If you are not having a party or invited to someone else’s party, you go out to a Sports Bar to watch it.  (With a very heavy sigh my Aussie husband has just confirmed that other people all over the world do this when a big soccer (football) game is on.)   

Now I will make it clear that I am not a football fan – I ignore it all year long, and don’t really care which teams make it to the playoffs, much less the Big Game.  I am all about the food.  And maybe the commercials during the game.  Advertisers have a reputation for airing funny or interesting ads during the game, probably because they have to pay an exorbitant fee to show them. 
But I digress.   
The food for Super Bowl consumption needs to fall into one of three categories:   fried, spicy or cheesy.  Sometimes all three at once, which is my favorite.  
I believe this is the biggest day for pizza deliveries which should also tell you something about the decidedly non-healthy nature of the food.  I have a friend who makes amazing spicy chicken wings every year and another who specializes in fried mozzarella sticks dipped into a marinara sauce.  Chili often makes an appearance but can be messy if there is a big play in the game and you tend to get excited and jump up...
  
I am contemplating making spicy lasagna, cutting it into small squares then deep-frying it.  If I actually am that ambitious and make it, I'll let you know how it goes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment