Monday, February 11, 2013

Mardi Gras Mambo



In honor of Mardi Gras, I am getting nostalgic for Creole and Cajun food from one of my favorite destinations, New Orleans.   Gumbo, Jambalaya, and my favorite, Etouffe’ – preferably with crawfish like this one –

Now, I have actually never been in New Orleans during Mardi Gras as I can’t drink that much and that continuously to truly do justice to the celebration.  I have however been for Jazz Fest.   And the French Quarter Festival.  And various other random times of the year because when would you not want to be there?  ( except during hurricane season, as they have sadly suffered several in recent years)   
New Orleans is the perfect confluence of food and music; have a fabulous dinner at one of about a million places to eat, then wander through the French Quarter or head up to Frenchmen Street to hear some amazing bands.  It is unlike any other place in America, and one of the places where almost any joint you go in to and any dish you eat in that joint is going to be good.  For now I will just have to look back on past visits, as it is not on the schedule for this year.  Sigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment