Sunday, November 24, 2013

The Bird Is The Word



My favorite holiday is fast approaching, and I am getting very excited for it.  Who wouldn’t?  It is all about food!!!  My Aussie husband didn’t take long to adapt to the American traditions surrounding Thanksgiving, once he realized that important fact.   We have been invited to other people’s homes for the last few years, so it has been a while since I have had to face the ordeal of cooking The Turkey.  Now, I can roast a chicken like nobody’s business, and have even mastered duck.   

Isn't my duck pretty?
But turkey?  It frightens me.  No matter what delectable side dishes you present for the rest of the meal, the guests will always remember the turkey.  Was it dry?  Was it flavorless?  No one will eat it, (even under a gallon of gravy) and you will be stuck with turkey leftovers for weeks.  I normally love leftovers, but really – there is only so much you can do with turkey.  I have tried many different ways of preparing it, even going so far as to roast it inside a paper grocery bag like my aunt used to, but it never turns out like I envision it should.   And that is why I am happy to leave that to others.  I will make some lovely side dish, and perhaps an appetizer.  We’ll take a nice bottle of Port or Madeira.  And I will enjoy the undoubtedly delicious turkey prepared by our hosts.

No comments:

Post a Comment